The Alaska Nanooks (11-12-4, 8-11-2 WCHA) stormed out to an early lead and rode three third-period goals to win going away hosting our beloved UAH Chargers (1-25-1, 1-15-1 WCHA) in Fairbanks. Six different Nanooks scored goals on the evening.
The story of this game is one that we’ve told you once or twice before: UAH quickly goes down by two, rallies, hangs in there, and fades at the end. It is Friday, after all. Here’s the story:
- The Nanooks went out to a quick 2-0 lead in the first 7:10 off of goals from Jared Larson and Marcus Basara.
- The boys put the clamps down at that point, and while Matt Larose (38 sv) was getting it done in the Chargers’ end, the boys started to leak out offensively. And then BEHOLD! A MisuROCKET appeared, beating Sean Cahill (12 sv) over the shoulder with 1:04 left in the first. Assists on the goal went to Matt Salhany and Joakim Broberg.
- The buzz you might have expected coming into the second didn’t appear to be long-lived, as neither team had much life for most of the second period.
- A tired Chargers squad took an icing penalty late in the second, and the Nanooks capitalized when Jared Linell banged a puck home just outside the crease.
- The Nanooks pulled away in the third on goals from Garrick Perry (9:15), Colton Parayko (10:45, PPG), and Colton Beck (13:42).
Larose falls to 0-13-1 on the season. The two teams face off to conclude the season series at 10:07 p.m. Huntsville time on Saturday. This week’s Catching the Game has all the information you need to stay in tune with the Chargers on these late nights.