Chargers’ playoff chances take hit in 4-3 loss at UAA

UAH somehow stayed in a game despite getting only 12 shots on goal. In the end, though, the Chargers’ playoff hopes are looking slim after a 4-3 loss at Alaska Anchorage on Saturday night.

UAH (6-17-3 overall, 4-13-3 WCHA) ended up with a split with Anchorage (10-13-3 overall, 7-11-2 WCHA) following the Chargers’ 2-1 win on Friday, but the Chargers really needed a sweep to stay in the Alaska teams’ rear-view mirror for the final league playoff spot.


UAH is now five points behind UAA and Lake Superior State, which are tied for seventh place and hold the final two playoff spots in the WCHA standings, with eight games remaining. Alaska is in ninth, also on the outside looking in, three points above the Chargers.

Although UAH struggled with puck possession, the Chargers made the most of their chances.

As they did on Friday, the Chargers struck first again, this time from Regan Soquila at 7:17 of the first period. Soquila beat UAA goaltender Olivier Mantha from the slot after receiving a pass from Brent Fletcher behind the net.

It was first goal of the season for Soquila, who played in just his 12th game of the season. Fletcher got his third assist, and Matt Salhany got his fifth helper.

After that, it was all Anchorage the rest of the first period. Brad Duwe tied the game at 1-1 as he beat Matt Larose from the left circle.

For the most part, Larose played solid with some nice glove saves. UAA kept peppering him with shots, particularly during their power play with just under five minutes left in the frame, when the Seawolves got five shots.

Larose made the saves, but with 1:53 to go, Anchorage got its first lead of the series as Tad Kozun’s shot got under his pad. UAA led 2-1 after one after outshooting the Chargers 14-3.

It only continued into the second, and it was only a matter of time before Blake Tatchell got involved. At 3:58 left in the 2nd, Tatchell squeezed a shot between Larose and defenseman Frank Misuraca to make it a 3-1 Seawolf lead.

UAH offense continued to get clamped down, only managing three shots on goal at the halfway point of the contest. Yet, the Chargers’ fourth shot on goal drew them back within one, as Tyler Poulsen’s snapper beat Mantha with 7:24 remaining in the second.

So despite getting only six shots on goal through two periods, UAH was only down 3-2.

The Seawolves made it 4-2 on Jarrett Brown’s goal with 8:11 to go, but the Chargers quickly answered a minute later. Soquila got his second goal of the game as he deflected a Kurt Gosselin slapshot from just inside the blue line. Gosselin and Cody Champagne got the assists.

UAH finally to put up some consistent pressure near the end, allowing Larose to go to the bench for the extra attacker, but the Seawolves and Mantha held on for the win in the final two minutes.

Alaska Anchorage finished with a 31-12 shots on goal advantage. Both teams had six shots in the final period.

The Chargers are off next week before returning to the Von Braun Center to host first-place Minnesota State on Feb. 12 and 13.