Struggles continue in 7-3 loss at Michigan Tech

What seemed to be signs of turning the corner has become just trying to be competitive at this point.

UAH lost Michigan Tech 7-3 on Friday in Houghton, losing its three straight game after winning the first two of the season at Ferris State. The Chargers (2-3-0 overall, 2-1-0 WCHA) have been outscored 17-3 during the losing streak.


Meanwhile, it was business as usual for the Huskies (1-4-0 overall, 1-2-0 WCHA) when they play the Chargers. They now lead the all-time series 11-0 with a 7-0 mark in Houghton.

It started innocent enough. The Huskies spent some time in the UAH end, then the Chargers asserted some offensive zone time.

Then it was all Michigan Tech.

At 8:20, Mark Auk’s shot from the point went through a heavy screen and found its way to the net for a 1-0 Huskies lead.

Just 15 seconds later, Dylan Steman sped down the right side. His inital shot was stopped by Larose, but Steman somehow snuck the rebound between him and the pipe. 2-0 Tech.

The Huskies commandeered the rest of the period, and made it 3-0 on the power play with 5:42 to go. A loose puck came to Shane Hanna in the slot, and he flung it over Larose’s left shoulder.

Michigan Tech ended up with a 17-4 shots on goal advantage after the opening frame, which has become a problem for UAH. The Chargers have allowed three, two, and three goals in the first period in each of the last three games, scoring none.

Second period wasn’t much better. Tech scored just 26 seconds in with the power play, with Jake Lucchini getting the goal as the puck trickled in off of Larose’s leg.

Then at the 7:01 mark, Chris Leibringer made it 5-0 Huskies. After allowing two goals on two shots to start the second, Larose was pulled for Jordan Uhelski.

Oddly enough, it was the Chargers who were getting more rubber on goal. They were able to get 15 on Tech goaltender Matt Wintjes in the second period. But he stopped them all.

Uhelski would stop six of seven Husky shots in the period. He allowed a Reid Sturros goal on the power play with 12:32 left for a 6-0 lead.

The Chargers would score three goals in the third, but the game was all but decided.

Brandon Salerno would finally get UAH on the board with his first college goal at 2:08 of the third. He was assisted by Brandon Parker and Jordan Larson.

Alex Smith added a goal for MTU in the third.

Max McHugh followed with a power play goal for UAH, his third of the season, with 5:27 left. Josh Kestner and Parker had the assists.

Larson tallied his first UAH career goal with 3:42 left, assisted by Cody Champagne and Matt Salhany for the final 7-3 score.

Michigan Tech out shot UAH 36-29. Larose made 14 saves, and Uhelski made 15 saves.

Game two of the series is Saturday at 6:07 p.m. Central Time.