UAH finally gets a point at Michigan Tech

On the one hand, UAH played a lot better, particularly defensively. And, the Chargers finally earned a point in Houghton, which has been major trouble spot.

But Reid Sturros’s goal 31 seconds into the 3-on-3 second overtime gave Michigan Tech the extra point in the WCHA standings. It was the first official WCHA game to use the new overtime rules, which determine a winner for all league games.


Technically, how the NCAA will considers it, UAH (2-3-1 overall, 2-1-1 WCHA) earned a 1-1 tie with Michigan Tech (1-4-1 overall, 1-2-1 WCHA). The Chargers were 0-11 overall and 0-7 in Houghton against the Huskies coming into the contest, and considering how bad things were with getting swept at Connecticut and the 7-3 loss to MTU on Friday, it’s still significant.

The Chargers certainly their best start in two weeks, even though the first period was scoreless. UAH outshot MTU by an 8-5 margin, and the Chargers didn’t commit the critical turnovers that had plagued them in the first periods of the last three games.

UAH’s best chance to score happened when Tech goaltender Devin Kero, who didn’t play Friday, misplayed a puck that went to Max McHugh, whose backhander hit the crossbar.

The five shots on net the Huskies got were solid, and Jordan Uhelski, making his first start ever between the pipes for UAH, made the stops.

Uhelski was really tested in the second period, as the Huskies had the pressure throughout most of the frame. Tech outshot UAH 12-4 for the second.

The action flowed both ways in the third, and finally it was the Huskies who broke through. Matt Roy’s blast from the right point beat Uhelski with 9:30 left in regulation broke the scoreless deadlock.

The question was how the Chargers would respond. They did not fold, and quickly answered with the equalizer 40 seconds later. Kurt Gosselin’s shot from the left side found the right side of the net, eluding Kero’s glove for this first goal of the season. Brandon Carlson and Max McHugh got the assists.

Uhelski then had to make some saves to keep things going beyond regulation, including stopping Jake Lucchini all alone in front with under seven minutes left.

Each team had great chances in the final minute. Matt Salhany had a partial break and a shot stopped by Kero. Then Brent Baltus had a chance for Michigan Tech, but his shot went over the crossbar.

The game then went to the normal overtime with the score tied 1-1. Most of the action was in the UAH end, but Uhelski and the Chargers survived to get the official tie.

Uhelski finished with 29 saves on 30 shots.

The Chargers finally play their home opening series against Lake Superior State on Oct. 21 and 22.