UAH loses 5-2 to Lake Superior

Max McHugh scored twice, but the Chargers could not dig out of another early hole in a 5-2 loss to Lake Superior State at the Von Braun Center on Saturday.

UAH (2-5-1 overall, 2-3-1 WCHA) is now winless in its last six games, while the Lakers remained undefeated at 4-0-0 overall and 2-0-0 in WCHA play.


The first crucial error was committed by the Lakers, and the Chargers’ leading scorer pounced. A turnover behind the net led to a loose puck in the slot, and Max McHugh was there to chip it over Lake Superior goaltender Gordon Defiel for a 1-0 UAH lead just one minute in.

LSSU tied the game at the 8:50 mark on the power play following a Hans Gorowsky holding penalty. J.T. Henke’s shot from the left point bounced off UAH goalie Jordan Uhelski and left him staggered, and Anthony Nellis was there to put in the rebound.

With 4:06 left in the period, the Lakers took a 2-1 lead after a UAH turnover. It left Bryan Basilico with the puck, getting around a defender, and backhanding it past Uhelski.

Lake Superior padded the lead early in the second, when Mitch Hults beat Uhelski from the slot at 1:33.

Nellis scored his second goal of the game with 5:40 left in the second. He was all alone in front of Uhelski, receiving a Henke pass from the boards, dekeing Uhelski, beating him high, and making it 4-1 Lakers.

McHugh then got his second goal of the night on a power play early in the third to put the Chargers within striking distance. After Nellis tripped Brennan Saulnier, McHugh shot the puck from the goal line, ricocheting it off LSSU defenseman Aidan Wright and in. Saulnier and Jordan Larson got the assists.

While UAH was down 4-2, it became more difficult after Gorowsky checked Kris Bindulis hard from behind, earning Gorowsky a 5-minute major and game misconduct with 11:14 left in regulation.

The Chargers killed off the major power play, with Uhelski making five saves.

The Lakers sealed the game with 1:56 to go, as Diego Cuglietta deflected a pass while diving toward the net.

Lake Superior State outshot UAH 33-20 for the game, including a 15-9 margin in the third period with the help of the major power play. Uhelski finished with 28 saves while Defiel had 18 stops.

UAH heads to St. Cloud State for non-conference action next week. The Chargers return home in three weeks to face Alaska.