UAH loses lead to Mercyhurst, falls again in OT

UAH blew a two-goal lead in the third period and lost to Mercyhurst 3-2 in overtime Saturday in the third-place game of the Mariucci Classic in Minnesota.

UAH (7-13-2) had a season-high in shots on goal with 43 and had allowed the Lakers only nine through the first two periods. The Chargers leave Minneapolis with two overtime losses after falling to Massachusetts 2-1 on Friday.


Mercyhurst (8-10-1) relied on goaltender Colin DeAugustine to stay in the game, finishing with 41 saves.

The first period was all Chargers, who scored twice and dominated puck possession, limiting Mercyhurst to just three shots on goal.

Matt Salhany tallied his fourth goal of the season from the right circle. His wrister beat Mercyhurst goaltender Colin DeAugustine on the far side at 4:26, assisted by Hans Gorowsky and Madison Dunn.

With 3:01 left in the first, UAH made it 2-0 with another goal from a defenseman from just inside the blue line. Brandon Parker’s blast deflected off two Laker defensemen, and DeAugustine never appeared to see it go to the back of the net.

It was Parker’s sixth goal of the season, helped again by Dunn and Gorowsky.

UAH continued to hold the edge in the second period, despite not finding the net and play getting more physical. After one penalty was called in the first period, six were called in the second.

The Chargers had to withstand 1:28 of two-man advantage for the Lakers late in the frame, but managed to escape unscathed and even managed a 2-on-1 shorthanded opportunity. DeAugustine was there to stop a shot by Kurt Gosselin on the play.

In the third, it only took one goal to get the Lakers going. Jack Riley found an open net after collecting a big rebound to beat UAH goalie Carmine Guerriero and cut the Chargers lead to 2-1 at the 5:16 mark.

The Lakers found new life after that, and with 9:47 to go, after a Brent Fletcher interference call gave Mercyhurst the power play, Nathan Ferriero tied the game at 2-2.

With 7:37 left, Mercyhurst nearly took the lead when a shot by Joseph Duszak bounced off Guerriero, who knocked it way just before it fully crossed the goal line. Video replay confirmed the no goal.

Each team had 15 shots on goal in the third period, but DeAugustine posted the clean sheet.

In overtime, DeAugustine robbed with a glove save on UAH’s Tyler Poulsen, who had a good look in the slot.

With 2:14 remaining in overtime, with the only shot the Lakers would need, Matthew Whittaker beat Guerriero for the 3-2 win.

Guerriero, who was seeing his first action since Nov. 19, finished with 22 saves.

UAH finishes non-conference play 0-6-0.

The Chargers return home next weekend to host Minnesota State, resuming WCHA play. Puck drop Friday and Saturday is 7:07 p.m. at the Von Braun Center.