Lowell finishes season-opening sweep of Chargers

UAH could not avoid another slow start to the season.

The Chargers managed only 13 shots on goal in their 3-1 loss at UMass Lowell on Sunday.

UAH (0-2), trying to be more aggressive offensively this season, could only score two goals and get 32 shots on goal on the weekend. The young Chargers will take the experience back to Huntsville and prepare for next week’s non-conference series at Omaha.


The Chargers did get solid performance from David Fessenden, making his collegiate debut in goal. He made 37 saves on 40 UML shots, displaying strong use of the glove.

The River Hawks (2-0) drew first blood in the first two minutes, just like in their 5-1 victory Saturday, this time at the 1:39 mark. Carl Berglund poked in a rebound in the crease with Fessenden unaware of the puck’s location.

The player who centered the puck from the behind the net, Zach Kaiser, was held by Tanner Hickey, prompting a bonus power play for UML.

The River Hawks did not score with the advantage but began a stretch of continuous pressure on UAH and Fessenden, who would make 12 saves in the opening frame.

UAH had the benefit of two power plays in the first period, but could not get anything set up, resulting in no shots on goal. The Chargers only had three shots for the first period, and were fortunate to only trail 1-0 at the first intermission.

UML made it 2-0 with 5:46 left in the second period when Andre Lee’s shot was saved by Fessenden, but the puck deflected off of UAH defenseman Drew Lennon’s knee and in.

The Chargers struggled on their first four power plays, mustering only one shot on goal, but found a little life on their fifth advantage to finally get on the scoreboard.

Tyr Thompson found the net from the right circle with 12:40 remaining in the third. He was assisted by Josh Latta (his first collegiate point) and Jack Jeffers, who had the helper in UAH’s lone goal on Saturday.

That life was squashed just 57 seconds later. Kenny Hausinger took a turnover and a breakaway, then beat Fessenden for the final 3-1 score.