UAH goes up by three, loses by six

To think that UAH had a 3-0 lead in this one.

Thirteenth-ranked Bowling Green scored nine unanswered goals to roll 9-3 on Friday night in Ohio.

The Chargers (1-13-1 overall, 1-9-1 WCHA) were outshot 55-11.

It was all Falcons (11-5-0, 6-3-0) to start the game, firing the first seven shots on goal. UAH goaltender Mark Sinclair was on point, making point-blank saves with the blocker and glove.

But UAH abruptly took the lead with their first shot on goal. Connor Merkley found Adrian Danchenko in front, and his one-timer beat Eric Dop at the 6:08 mark to put the Chargers on top. It was Danchenko’s first collegiate goal.

The Falcons had a few more chances during a Connor James tripping penalty, but UAH scored again on only its third shot.

Daneel Lategan’s wrister while falling beat Dop high with 4:50 left in the first period. Lategan’s third goal of the season was assisted by Connor Wood.

The Chargers were up two at the first intermission despite being outshot 13-4.

UAH made it 3-0 at the 4:46 mark of the second period when Tyr Thompson had an easy rebound goal. Jack Jeffers, who had the initial shot on the rush, and Liam Izyk had the assists.

Then the Chargers just lost it the rest of the second period, and the Falcons took advantage.

Will Cullen put Bowling Green on the board with a slick shot past a screened Sinclair with 7:50 remaining to cut UAH’s lead to 3-1.

The Falcons tied the game on back-to-back power play goals by Alex Barber as UAH piled up penalties.

BG’s second goal came with 3:48 left in the period, and the game-tying goal came with 1:07 remaining after a Thompson interference penalty. Max Coyle and Thompson each had 10-minute misconduct penalties.

The Falcons took the lead quickly in the third. Brandon Kruse gave Bowling Green its first lead at the 1:46 mark, scoring all alone from the right circle.

UAH finally got its first power play, but BG went up 5-3 when Frederic LaTourneau scored shorthanded at 3:38.

The Falcons just kept pounding with four more goals for a total of six in the third period.

Sinclair stayed in net the whole time, as a great start turned into a nightmare. He finished with 46 saves.

UAH will have to regroup for Saturday’s series finale at 6 p.m.