Chargers lose to MTU in series finale

UAH played better in its 4-1 loss to Michigan Tech at the Von Braun Cebter on Saturday, but the Chargers have work to do to regain their legs following their pandemic-induced layoff.

The Huskies wore down the Chargers with three unanswered goals in the third period to complete a sweep of the non-conference series.


The Chargers (2-7-1), who were idle for 27 days because of COVID-19 protocols coming into the weekend, had only 19 shots on goal. But even that was improvement over the nine shots on net they had in Friday’s 3-1 defeat.

Once again, UAH’s starting goaltender had to work hard to keep the Chargers in the game. This time, it was freshman Derek Krall, who had not seen any action in two months with David Fessenden assuming the No. 1 spot. Krall responded admirably with 37 saves on 41 Michigan Tech shots.

Trenton Bliss opened the scoring for Michigan Tech (11-5-1) by sneaking the puck off Krall and in with 11:07 remaining in the first period.

Michigan Tech nearly made it 2-0 when Alec Broetzman deflected a centering feed during a power play, but Krall denied him with a sprawling pad save and sitting cover.

The Chargers tied the game at 6:57 of the second period in a rather unorthodox fashion. Bennett Stockdale, trying to create a chance in front of the Tech net, was tripped as he crossed the goal line. His back-hander deflected off a Husky defender and past goalie Blake Pietila (18 saves) for his first college goal and point.

Bauer Neudecker and Tyrone Bronte got the assists. Bronte now leads the Chargers with six assists and nine points.

Michigan Tech dominated possession for the rest of the period after the UAH goal. The Huskies outshot the Chargers 15-5 in the frame, keeping Krall busy with the pad and glove.

The biggest test for UAH came at start the third period. After back-to-back penalties to Connor Wood and Ayodele Adeniye to end the second, the Chargers had to kill off a 5-on-3 Huskies advantage for 1:33.

Test passed, thanks in large part to Krall, who robbed Arvid Caderoth’s doorstep snipe with the pad to keep the game tied 1-1.

However, the Huskies eventually put the game away with three unanswered goals over a span of 3:46 as Tech kept firing.

Justin Misiak pounded in a rebound through traffic in the slot to put the Huskies up 2-1 almost four minutes into the third. Tristan Ashbrook wristed in a centering pass two minutes later, and Alec Broetzman followed up with a slapshot from the left circle a minute after that.

UAH will turn attention to the best team in the WCHA, No. 6 Minnesota State, for a conference series at the VBC on Thursday and Friday.