Mike Corbett on Friday was formally introduced as the new head coach of the UAH Charger hockey. Watch the press conference below:
We have our conference, we have our schedule, and now we have our coach. In case you missed it, Mike Corbett will be behind our bench when the boys start the 2013-14 season at Northeastern.
- Mark McCarter of The Huntsville Times spoke with Corbett in advance of his visit to Huntsville next week. He’s a big fan of Nick Saban and “The Process.” Corbett also talks about plans for his staff.
- Joe Paisley of The Gazette (Colorado Springs) discussed with Corbett how his expanded role at Air Force helped him get the UAH job. Corbett is the third assistant for Frank Serratore to leave for a head coaching position: Derek Schooley at Robert Morris, Bob Motzko at St. Cloud State.
- Sebastian Geoffrion is participating in the Nashville Predators development camp this week. “Seabass” is excited to work out with the team that drafted his brother Blake. Pics of Sebastian in action are here and here.
- Meanwhile, goaltender Clarke Saunders, who transferred from UAH to North Dakota, is with the Washington Capitals camp. Pics of Clarke are here and here.
- Countdown: 93 days until the season opener at Northeastern, 107 days until the home and WCHA opener against Bemidji State.
UAH President Dr. Robert Altenkirch, Athletics Director Dr. E.J. Brophy, and Coach Kurt Kleinendorst met with the media and fans to discuss in-depth about the Chargers joining the WCHA:
From Budd McLaughlin of The Huntsville Times:
‘Hard work’ resulted in UAH landing in WCHA
The UAH Chargers hockey program has finally found its home. The Western Collegiate Hockey Association voted to accept UAH, which will start league play as soon as next season.
Here are the reports coming in:
- WCHA release: WCHA Grants Full-Time Membership to University of Alabama in Huntsville
- UAH release: UAH Hockey Accepts Invite to Join WCHA
- AL.com/Huntsville Times: UAH accepts invitation to join Western Collegiate Hockey Association
- USCHO.com: WCHA accepts Alabama-Huntsville for 2013-14 season
- College Hockey News: WCHA Agrees to Add Alabama-Huntsville
- Marquette (Mich.) Mining Journal: WCHA unanimously adds Alabama-Huntsville as 10th team for 2013-14 season
- United States of Hockey:
WCHA Admits Alabama-Huntsville for 2013-14, Realignment Complete?
Budd McLaughlin for The Huntsville Times caught up with Finlandia coach and UAH alum John McCabe ahead of this weekend’s series. Remember, McCabe will be at tomorrow’s coaches’ luncheon. Here was McCabe’s UAH career by the numbers:
- Three-year left wing for the Chargers from 1995-98. He wore #25.
- Member of the 1996 and 1998 NCAA Division II championship teams.
- Scored 35 goals and 53 assists for 88 points in 82 games. At the time, McCabe was 18th in UAH’s career points list and tied for 17th in career assists.
- Led the team in assists (32) during the ’98 run.